Blytheco Startup Resource Center
We’re big believers in startups at Blytheco. Blytheco was a startup 35+ years ago, and we still know how it felt. We’ve also worked with thousands of startups and small businesses, and we’re inspired by what they achieve, both when they start and as they achieve critical mass. As a result, we know that starting a new business and growing it is hard. That’s why we’re offering this compilation of resources—both our own and from other leading sources—to help you on your journey. And if you need more help and advice, we’re here for you. Happy building.
1. Business Planning and Strategy
- 3 Proven Startup Strategies for Success – Foundr.com – Review models such as “Get Big Fast,” “Lean Startup Method,” “Stealth Mode.” Learn from the mistakes of Webvan, Pets.com and more, plus the successes of startups like Amazon.
- 9 Strategies All Startups Must Have to Sustain Business Growth – Startup Grind – Straightforward but important principles all startups should follow to become success stories.
- Does Your Startup Have a Strategy? – Entrepeneur.com – Six decisions that can help boost a startup’s odds of success, by Peter S. Cohan.
- 7 Step Startup Business Strategy – Business 2 Community – Seven steps including defining your business & elevator pitch, defining your target customer, doing your competitor research, and more.
- 5 of the Best Strategy Frameworks – Executestrategy.net – Learn about the five best strategy frameworks, with the advantages of each.
2. General Advice
- Business Advice and Resources for Startups – Blytheco Blog – Some options for getting help building your start-up, from incubators and accelerators to mentoring groups.
- 10 Startup Founders Tell Us: The Best Advice I've Ever Received – The Muse – 10 founders weigh in on the absolute best advice they received as they built their companies.
- The Best Startup Advice from 14 Tech Heroes – Forbes – Inspirational and informative quotes and lessons from tech superstars that can get you going and keep you going.
- Startup Advice from Successful Entrepreneurs – Fundable – Relevant advice and quotes from a variety of successful entrepreneurs in several different industries.
- The Entrepreneur’s Surefire Formula for Cold Emails That Get Responses – Foundr – Clear guidelines for how to write a cold email, whether to connect to journalists, investors, sales leads, or others.
- Five Signs that QuickBooks is Failing Your Business – Blytheco Blog – Many businesses start with QuickBooks, but know when you need to graduate to something better.
- What Is the Best CRM for Startups? – Blytheco Blog – How to pace your CRM selection to your rate of growth, what to consider in your selection, and more.
- 35+ Experts Share Their Secrets on Starting a Highly Successful E-commerce Business – Foundr – Hear from experts about how to run a successful online store.
- How to Choose Your Tech Stack – Silicon Valley Software Group – How to choose the tech for your startup, including mobile vs web strategies, different tech to consider, and more.
- How Startups Can Use Open Source Software to Compete Against the Big Guys – The Next Web – Comments from a group of startup founders on how and why to use open source.
4. Finance & Funding 101 for Startups
- A Beginner’s Guide to Funding a Startup – Foundr – Learn about the basic categories of funding, with an outline of 6 ways to land funding.
- How to Woo Angel Investors – Startup Grind – What to expect, how to talk the talk, and more.
- The Ultimate Guide for How to Launch a Successful Crowdfunding Campaign – Foundr – How crowdfunding works, how to structure a campaign, and more.
- How to Negotiate Like a Pro: 5 Proven Approaches – Foundr – Learn how to negotiate effectively to get what you need and want.
- The Art of Startup Finance – Kauffman Enterprises – Critical knowledge that will help you go beyond the numbers and use finance as a tool to help you manage your company.
5. Pitch Deck Dos and Don’ts and Templates
- How to Create a Great Investor Pitch Deck for Startups Seeking Financing – Forbes – Important do’s and don’ts for investor pitch decks, key slides to include, and more.
- The Founders Guide to Creating an Effective Investor Pitch – Foundr – Key things to do before you talk to investors, including research, documents to prepare, and more.
- Pitch Decks for Raising Seed Capital – Traction – Free startup pitch deck templates to download for two types of pitches, developed by VCs.
- Sequoia Capital Pitch Deck Templates – SlideShare – A reproduction of the official pitch deck template recommended by leading VC group Sequoia Capital.
- The Art of Startup Fundraising: Google Launches the Ultimate Pitch Deck Template for Startups – The Art of Startup Fundraising – Googled published a template startups can use to tell their story for fundraising, available free.
6. Startup Marketing
- The Ultimate Startup Marketing Strategy – VentureHarbour – Learn about the foundations of startup marketing, paid media marketing, earned and owned media marketing, and more.
- The Ultimate Guide to Startup Marketing – Kissmetics Blog – An overview of startup marketing from foundation (choosing a market, etc.) to content, social media and PR marketing.
- The 11-Step Startup Launch Marketing Plan – Smart Insights – A full launch plan for an 18-month rollout, defined by phases.
- The Complete Guide to Building a Huge Email List: How We Added 56,000 Subscribers in 30 Days – Foundr – Jonathan Chan reveals the tactics Foundr has used to double their subscriber list to 200K in just a few months.
- Building the Marketing Plan: A Blueprint for Startups – Hubspot – Tips from the co-founder of Hubspot on the most important things to do before building your startup, with an optional guide to download.
- Business Advice and Resources for Startups
- What Is Omnichannel, and Is Your Company Ready to Offer It?
- What Does a CFO Need in 2017?
- Are You Ready for the New Revenue Recognition Requirements?
- Easily Claim Your Company’s Work Opportunity Tax Credit in 2017
- The 2017 Sales Tax Survival Guide
Human Capital Management
Other Blytheco Resources
- See How QuickBooks, Sage 100 and NetSuite Compare
- The Top 10 Signs You’ve Outgrown QuickBooks
- Demo Webinar: How NetSuite Can Take Your Business to New Heights in 2017
- Demo Webinar: See How Sage 100c Can Power Your Business into 2017
- How to Budget for New Software
- How to Define Scope for Your Software Project
- How to Build a Business Case for a Software Systems Change
Human Capital Management
Avalara Blog - Tax Guidance
HighJump/TrueCommerce – Trading Partner Platform/EDI
- Startup Grind
- 60 Great Tools and Resources for Entrepreneurs and Startups | Inc.com
- Startup Stash - Curated resources and tools for startups
- Startup Resources - the best tools for your Startup business
- The Complete Startup Toolkit (The Best Free Online Startup Resources Right Now) - Medium
- Startup Library - Y Combinator
- Start-Up Launchpad